A Christmas Memory--by Paeaileone Kelemeni

  A memorable Christmas memory is when my second brother, Simione was born.

We were born and raised in American Samoa a territory of the United States of America. This is where my humble beginnings started prior to moving to Hawai’i. Simione was born on Christmas Eve in 1986 at the Lyndon Baines Johnson Tropical Medical Center. A baby who had a head full of black hair and bright brown eyes was brought home on the 26th of December. When he was brought home, he came with Mom, Ilaise, bio- logical father, Lopaki and gifts for my brother, Taniela, sister Jean and myself. My family was given three more gifts in the years to follow, brothers Vikilani, Pingi Jr., and stepdad, Pingi Tavake, Sr. (Dad who’s been there through the years), three sisters in-law, 14 nieces, nephews. Simione coming home with gifts from the hospital meant so much to me. This is the beginning of knowing about Christmas gifts aside from religious beliefs and activities.

God has gifted me with so much, my husband Ngalumoetutulu, three children, eight grandchildren, Ngalu’s parents, father in-law Rev. Dr. Eddie Kelemeni, mother in-law Tupouseini Kelemeni, two sisters in-law, their spouses and combined 11 nieces, nephews, and two brothers in-law. He’s also given me my second set of par- ents Rev. Atonio & Lusinta Tolutau, children and grandchildren. 

This blessing includes our Tonga Fellowship family, Sunday School Coordinator, Laota Mapa & Family, Youth Director, Siosiana Makoni & family, Takai Luatangi, Tevita Fisilau, Kasilita Hakaumotu & family, Iunisi Philman & family, Milika Powell and children, Uhila Tuifua, and friends. All these wonderful people have made me eternally humbled and in debt to Christ for His love upon me.

My heart is filled with joy as I join Christians around the world in preparation of celebrating the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Jesus’ birth is so significant to me, knowing that there was no room in the Inn for him. His mother laid him in a manger, a trough for feeding animals. Christ our King was born where animals are housed and laid where animals are fed. A symbol of humility, love and care for all of us. These words from Isaiah 9:6 are so true: "For a child is born to us, A son is given to us; And the government is upon His shoulder; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." 

I hope we can all make room for Him in our hearts and homes.

I’m grateful that God has blessed my life tremendously and has brought so many more Christmas memories that I will treasure forever. I humbly thank each and every one of you for all that you do for our church family. I believe that serving God is serving His people and I’m grateful for a church family like ours here at Burns Memorial United Methodist Church.

Here’s wishing each an everyone of you God’s Peace, Hope, Love, Joy and Blessings this Christmas.

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year!

Tongan– Kilisimas Fiefia Moe Ta’u Fo’ou Monu’ia! 

Samoan--Manuia Le Kerisimasi Ma Le Tausanga Fou Manuia! 

Hawaiian--Mele Kalikimaka Me Ka Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!

Ofa Atu--With Love, 

Paeaileone Kelemeni


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Christmas Mean to Me, You Ask?---by Mark Dockter, Lay Leader

Holy Family: Reflections on Sermon "Joseph’s Plans"