Angels: Sermon Reflections on "Advent Angels"

I’ve always been intrigued by the image of "a multitude of the heavenly host praising God..." presumably singing--or maybe more like an army than a choir, shouting in unison, "Glory to God!" 

Pastor Peter’s sermon on angels made me want to share my own angel band, made of stained glass, ceramic, papier-mâché, resin and lace, wood, clay and metal, plastic, metal and fabric and even wheat. It is an advent pleasure to get them out one by one and remember the when, where and who of how they were acquired. For many years my mother sent me an angel for Christmas, and I’ve received many angel ornaments from my daughters.

Shows like "Touched by an Angel" and "Supernatural" are contemporary takes on angels, and I have a couple sci-fi books that speculate angels are aliens from a galaxy far, far away. In the Bible angels serve as God's Agents, according to the pastor. I know from Scripture angels have been mixed up with babies quite a bit, feeding prophets, wrestling with prodigals, eating big dinners under terebinth trees, warning evildoers, climbing ladders, delivering messages, starring in visions of the end times and bearing folks up lest they dash their feet against stones. All suitable projects for God's Agents. 

In my life several times individuals have come to my assistance "out of the blue", seemingly sent in response to my desperate prayers. While they have come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors, once even wearing white tennis shorts,  The Individuals who have come to my assistance "out of the blue", seemingly sent in response to my desperate prayers, certainly seemed like angels. They have come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors. But no wings. I think the desperation and the shock of a direct and immediate response contribute to that experience of a touch of the Divine.

Pastor Peter suggested that we look for opportunities to be angels for others. Frankly I’m more comfortable with the image of the Good Samaritan, doing what any decent (and modestly brave) human being would do to help when coming upon someone in trouble, no supernatural trappings required. On the other hand, maybe that Samaritan was a Secret Agent. 

Maybe when we feed the hungry and welcome strangers we are God's Secret Agents, too.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Memory--by Paeaileone Kelemeni

What Does Christmas Mean to Me, You Ask?---by Mark Dockter, Lay Leader

Holy Family: Reflections on Sermon "Joseph’s Plans"